Sexual concerns, difficulties, and dysfunctions are extremely common. Sexual health is an important aspect of general health that significantly impacts upon quality of life for most people. Chronic, untreated sexual difficulties can have a lasting impact on you, your significant other, and your relationships in general.
Tri-Cities Sexual Health Services is your resource for treatment of sexual health concerns in the Tri-Cities and Greater Vancouver area. All services are provided by Dr. Lori Brotto, a Registered Psychologist with the British Columbia College of Psychologists (#01628).
Dr. Brotto received a Fellowship in Reproductive and Sexual Medicine and commonly treats the following types of sexual concerns:
- low sexual desire
- loss of sexual arousal
- vaginismus (inability to have intercourse due to vaginal muscle tightening)
- dyspareunia (pain with intercourse)
- fear/anxiety over sexual activity or contact
- changes in sexual function with menopause, cancer, diabetes, depression, medication use, and related to other medical conditions
- loss of sexual desire
- erectile dysfunction
- premature ejaculation
- performance anxiety
- changes in sexual function with prostate cancer, diabetes, depression, medication use, and related to other medical conditions
- discrepant sexual desire
- relationship therapy associated with sexual difficulties
Dr. Brotto incorporates cognitive behavioural and mindfulness-based interventions, along with traditional sex therapy skills, in her treatment approach. Dr. Brotto also received extensive training in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for depression, anxiety, sexual abuse, substance abuse, and stress management. She has also received training in Dialectical Behaviour Therapy. She regularly collaborates with professionals from multidisciplinary backgrounds (e.g., gynaecologists, pelvic floor physiotherapists, family doctors, psychiatrists, couples counsellors, and others).